Top 5 Best places to visit in Lincoln Lincolnshire UK
Without a doubt Lincoln the county town of Lincolnshire is one of the finest place in the Great Britain. The town boasts of excellent places that you can visit and not forgetting the beautiful castles. This town is actually one of the oldest towns in England having been established in 1206. In 1846 the town became a center of iron working and today it’s known of awesome places that foreigners and even locals can visit and have fun. In this article we are going to discuss some of the best places you can visit in this great city in England. Sit back and relax as you get a trip through Lincoln.
- Brayford Waterfront. This place have an excellent pool that gets its feed from River Witham. This place was such an important place back in the 18th and 19th centuries as it was the center for farmers to sell their products. The old warehouses where the farmers used to trade have been converted into fascinating hotels plus restaurants. There are beautiful yacht and boats where you can explore the excellent hotels and the restaurants. It is a very fun place to visit and it provides an excellent view to the famous Lincoln Cathedral. Before you leave this place make sure to eat the excellent food sold in the surrounding restaurants. Remember to take some beautiful pictures as the place is freaking beautiful and you can be sure to have photos that you are going to remember for a very long time.
- Museum of Lincolnshire life. Are you fan of history? Well it actually does not matter if you are or not because anyone will have a fun time in this elegant museum. It contains exhibits that dates back to the 17th century up to date. Even if you are not a history lover you are going to love how Lincoln has developed from the 17th century till date. Did you know that the first war machine was built near Lincoln? Well if you didn’t know, now you know. You can witness this world war one era tank in this museum. The museum is also the home to a working 18th century windmill. And if you are really not into history, you can still have fun in the authentic Victoria kitchen where demonstration are shown.
- Tattershall Castle. This castle that was built during the medieval times is an amazing place to visit. The castle have been around since 1440 and it has never lost its spark. You should be psychologically prepared to do some climbing if you are going to visit this elegant castle. Have fun and take some pictures in the castle. The view from the castle is a beauty as the Lincolnshire countryside is so green and the view is just so appealing to the eye. After having enough fun, make sure to explore the moats, bridges and the neighboring church that have some great history. If you still have time then make sure to visit the private and stunning ground (Doddington & Gardens) that has everything you need to have fun. This private garden was completed in the 1600 but renovations keeps on happening so the garden still maintains its elegant look and it is a very beautiful place to be when you are in Lincoln. Some of the things that you can be sure to enjoy in this place are the impressive collections of paintings and ceramics as well as 17th century Flemish tapestries.
- Lincoln cathedral. I believe this one of the most known and most visited place in Lincoln. Since it was built in 1088 it has been the most visited cathedral in the whole of England. The architecture used to build this building is one of a kind and it will leave you wondering how our ancestors were so smart and creative. The colors painted on this building compliment the building so perfectly that it will leave you in awe. Learn about the early architecture by noting some of the early Gothic architecture like the Iron Gate that leads to St. Hugh’s choir. Note the unique feature that goes by the name Lincoln imp that people believe the imp annoyed the angels and it was turned into stone. Am not sure if it is the truth but that’s what the legends say about it and am not in a position to question. Take some guided tours in the cathedral and enjoy the view of scenes from the Bible (Old Testament) such as Noah’s ark, Daniel in the Lion’s den and some dragons are also available (not alive of course).
- Lincoln castle. This is one of the major historic site in this town, constructed in the 11th century by William the conqueror. This site has acted as a symbol of punishment and power in the country throughout the ages. Ever heard of Magna Carta? If you have then you know how historical and important it is. One of the four copies of the Magna Carta is found in this castle and it is possible read it and learn about its history. You can also visit and participate in exhibits and activities such as Victorian prison visit and the medieval wall walk. Experience some true history inside the castle and I can guarantee you it will be something that you will be remembering for a very long time.
If you are planning to visit the United Kingdom then you should keep it in mind that Lincoln is must visit. This historic city has much to offer and you can be sure to have maximum fun. Make your way to the famous Lincoln cathedral, visit the Lincoln castle, and Brayford waterfront. There are many places to visit in this cool city and the above are just but a few and of course the best places to visit.
For More information and information on events and attractions in Lincoln visit: https://www.visitlincoln.com/